Drivers must obtain a For-Hire permit through King County.
- Apply with a TNC: In order to obtain a for-hire permit, the driver must first be contracted with a TNC.
- Vehicle Inspection: The driver will need to get a vehicle inspection performed by a city-approved mechanic.
- Pick-up your For-Hire Permit: The TNC will send the for-hire permit application on behalf of the driver to King County's Records and Services Licensing Division. Once the application has been verified and approved, the TNC will contact the driver to confirm pick-up time and place for the for-hire permit and endorsement decal(s).
- Defensive Driving Course Training: The Defensive Driving Course (DDC Online 9th edition, available in English/Spanish) is a 4-hour online course provided by the National Safety Council.
For Existing Drivers:
- Renewing your For-Hire Permit: Make sure to update your information with your TNC and provide them with an updated vehicle inspection (Step 1 - Step 3). The DDC (Step 4) applies to first-time applicants only.
If you are driving for more than one TNC, you are only required to have one (1) For-Hire Permit and vehicle endorsement(s).
How to display your permits: